This banana blueberry bread is much healthier than traditional banana bread. The banana bread I usually make has so much sugar in it that the top gets a beautiful crystalized crust. Its so good – but its really not something I should be making a lot. So I recently started testing out new healthier recipes. This is one I’ve made several times now and the family loves it. My daughter in particular is hard to please when it comes to banana bread. I’ve heard her bragging about how good my other unhealthier recipe is to people “my mom makes the BEST banana bread”, so I had to up my game on this healthier version. While its not AS good as the other, its a great breakfast and one I can feel good about. I will still occasionally make the other one too, but everything in moderation, right?
Eventually I’ll get around to doing a post with my not so healthy but extremely delicious banana bread (since I’ve talked it up so much!)
2 overripe bananas, mashed
1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
1 handful fresh blueberries
3/4 cup organic all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease loaf pan with oil or cooking spray (your preference)
- Mix together all ingredients, except the flour in a medium mixing bow until well combined and smooth.
- Add the fresh blueberries and stir to combine.
- Fold the flour into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. (Mine was about 1/2 full, but you could also do two small loaf pans, if desired.)
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top of golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container.