This Taco Tuesday recipe is part of the My Clean Kitchen – 7 Day Eat Clean Challenge. Click here to learn more.
Breakfast: Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
Lunch: Meatloaf Sandwiches
Snack: Ants on a Log
Dinner: Taco Tuesday, Mexican Bean Salad
Taco Tuesday! One of my favorite days of the week. I’m a big taco lover and have been looking at ways to “clean” up my taco habit. Have you ever looked at the ingredients on the “taco” seasoning you buy at the store. Wow. I can’t pronounce half of them. We have been talking for a while about creating some pre-made spice mix recipes that can be made ahead of time and stored for quick use. Well, here we are – our first!
So I made tacos for the family tonight, with ground turkey and whole wheat tortillas. They were delicious and I felt great after eating them. I served them with homemade guacamole and diced tomatoes.
Local Ingredient: Ground Turkey (purchased from the local farmers market).
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground Mustard
1 teaspoon dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
1 lb Ground Turkey
1-2 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Medium Onion, diced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
4 Large Whole Wheat Tortillas
1/2 a lime, juiced
Optional Toppings: diced tomato, diced onion, hand grated cheese, homemade guacamole, black beans, hand torn or shredded lettuce, diced fresh avocado.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add cooking oil, such as olive oil or coconut oil, to a skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add red bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Saute until soft.
- Add ground turkey to brown. Stir occasionally.
- Once the ground turkey has browned, add taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Cook on low heat for another 4-5 minutes until flavors blend. Squeeze the lime juice into the taco meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Put tortillas into aluminum foil and warm in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes, or until tortillas are warmed through.
- Remove tortillas and cut each in half. Spoon taco meat into shell and add desired toppings.
- Serve and enjoy!
[…] beans and a packet of taco seasoning. I made my own refried black beans, and also used the our taco seasoning mix. I swapped out the wonton wrappers with thinly sliced sweet potato. I also replaced the ground beef […]
[…] recipes. Better yet, celebrate all week. We have a recipe for everyday. Start your week with our Homemade Taco Seasoning, then you’ll have it for the rest of the week. Also, don’t forget to soak your beans […]
[…] The sauce itself is a revelation, but when combined with the super tasty chicken enchilada mixture, it’s like heaven on a plate. We will be experimenting with the avocado sauce in the coming weeks. We’re thinking of more ways to utilize it in replacing ingredients to make other recipes clean. We also used our very own Taco Seasoning recipe in this, you can find that recipe here. […]