Who knew having a kindergartner would be so difficult! She is busier than I am. I have been on the hunt for quick and easy recipes I can do while she’s tearing through the house after glee club, violin, cooking class, and soccer (see told you, busy lady!) We love the rice bowl at Chipotle and Moes, so I decided to make a healthier version at home. I also wanted to make it vegetarian because sometimes I feel like we are overloaded on meat. Especially since we’ve been doing so much paleo stuff lately, with Whole30. It’s a nice change And could be a great meal for meatless Monday!
For this one, I can prep the black bean mixture ahead of time, and just throw it all together before dinner. That means the only think I really have to cook at dinner time is the brown rice. (Check out our Perfect Brown rice recipe). I can even saute everything, then just reheat at dinner time. Makes it a quick meal and a kid pleaser. The taco seasoning can be a bit spicy, if so, just reduce the cayenne. If you do dairy, this could be served with sour cream as well. Add some shredded chicken for some extra protein.
Have you made rice bowls before at home? What’s your favorite topping?
2 cups uncooked rice
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/2 poblano pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
3 tbsp taco seasoning Click here for our recipe
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
4 lime wedges
- Add the brown rice to a medium pot. Add 12 cups water.
- Add the salt, cumin and garlic.
- Bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Drain and fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a large saute pan or skilled over medium high heat. Add the coconut oil.
- Once the coconut oil has melted add the celery, onion and sweet potato. Saute for 5-6 mins.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, and poblano. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the black beans, taco seasoning and chicken stock. Season with salt.
- Continue to cook, stirring occastionally until vegetables are tender.
- Serve the rice in individual bowls with the vegetable mixture on top.
- Garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and avocado. Serve with a lime wedge, if desired.