Guess what everyone? It’s that time again…Valentine’s Day! Hooray! What can be better than a holiday devoted to chocolate. Yeah yeah there is all that love stuff too, but lets be honest, it’s really about the chocolate.
Now we all know about the traditional ways to consume chocolate on Valentine’s Day. There are boxed chocolates of course, then you have a wide variety of delicious truffles and bars, there are also the wonderful baked goods, and finally chocolate dipped everything. While I am obviously a fan of all of these great options, I was wondering where I could sneak chocolate into other parts of my day. Then is hit me…breakfast!
Viola, chocolate oatmeal was born. Looking back it was so obvious. Why hadn’t I done this before? It is really easy to put together and sweet enough that your entire family will enjoy it. So whip up a batch tomorrow morning and be the hero of Valentine’s Day!
2 cups rolled oats
3 - 3 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup honey (turbinado or coconut palm sugar also work)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips for garnish
- Combine the oats, 3 cups water, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
- Stir continuously until all the water is gone and the oats are fully cooked. Add the remaining 1/2 cup water if necessary and continue cooking until oats are tender.
- When the oats are tender remove from the heat.
- Stir in the honey, vanilla, and heavy cream. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Garnish with dark chocolate chips and serve.
Leave a Reply