Wow has it been a long week. In addition to playing with food (i.e sharing our kitchen exploits with you fine people!) we also run a company together. Don’t worry I won’t bore you with that stuff. Yuck day jobs. But…it has been a long week, a good week, but a long week. We were traveling so we weren’t able to post any recipes this week (the first week we haven’t gotten to post since we started!!!), but now that we are back at Sara’s in VA we are ready to get back in the kitchen. Cooking really is the best therapy. It’s relaxing and at the end you are rewarded by getting to eat what you make….BONUS!
This Saturday we went to the Farmers market and found the best looking strawberries. We also had forgotten about our bananas we bought before we left on the trip, so we came home to a bunch of very very ripe bananas. So between the bananas and the strawberries I thought…hey, lets make muffins!
I am not sure if I have confessed this to you yet, but I am a lazy baker. I mean this in the sense that while I love to bake, I don’t own a lot of fancy equipment and hate getting the equipment I do have dirty. It is such a pain to clean. All those nooks and crannies…no thanks. I like baking recipes that I can mix with a wooden spoon. This is one of those recipes. In the instructions I say to beat the butter with an electric mixer, but you can do it by hand if you like. If using an electric mixer for these muffins be careful not to over-mix…that is never good for anyone.
These little muffins are great. They are very fresh tasting and to me they scream spring and summer. Strawberry and banana is one of those classic combinations that never goes out of style. Give them a try, you won’t regret it!
Local Ingredient: Local honey, local pasture raised farm fresh eggs (both purchased from the local farmers market).
1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup honey
¼ cup milk (optional, to thin the batter if it is too thick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup bananas, mashed
½ cup sliced strawberries, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with silicone or paper cupcakes liners.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another large mixing bowl use an electric mixer to beat the butter until it is smooth. Slowly add the honey, egg, vanilla extract and banana. Mix until combined, be careful not to over-mix.
- Make a well in you dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Use a wooden spoon to mix until well combined.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin liners. Place 1 strawberry slice on top of each muffin for garnish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Remove from muffin tin and allow to cool.
[…] I wasn’t expecting. We came home with some stellar strawberries. I, of course, made our Strawberry Banana Muffins, and we ate a bunch, but I hulled the rest and put them in baggies to freeze so I could make […]
[…] Chicken and Red Lentil Soup Coconut Curry Chicken Strawberry Banana Muffins […]