Day 3 of cleaning up Pinterest is number 18 on the list from the Buzz Feed article 20 Recipes that Won Pinterest in 2013. This double decker taco recipes looks delicious. They use wonton wrappers, canned refried beans and a packet of taco seasoning. I made my own refried black beans, and also used the our taco seasoning mix. I swapped out the wonton wrappers with thinly sliced sweet potato. I also replaced the ground beef with ground turkey. Also, this recipe is a healthy gluten free alternative to a traditional taco recipe.
While it is a loose interpretation of the original recipes, at least in looks as most of the other ingredients are the same, it was so delicious! I loved the crispness of the edges of the sweet potatoes as well as the earthy and filling taste of the refried black beans. Plus, now I have some left over black beans for the rest of the week. Or, maybe I’ll freeze them and use them later. Either way, its a score for me!
Take a look at the side by side nutrition data comparison. I mean it’s easy to see that cleaning up this recipe is worth it. The cleaned up version serves 4 large portions. So, it’s a big meal that will fill you up. The garnish is not included here, but a few tomatoes and onions won’t add much. Just don’t go crazy with the cheese.
Here is a side by side comparison of the nutritional facts for each recipe*:
| My Clean Kitchen
|Calories: 513||Calories: 956|
|Total Fat: 6 g||Total Fat: 49 g|
|Cholesterol: 159 g||Cholesterol: 170 g|
|Sodium: 178 mg||Sodium: 1552 g|
|Total Carbohydrates: 36 g||Total Carbohydrates: 71 g|
|Dietary Fiber: 12 g||Dietary Fiber: 5 g|
|Sugar: 2 g||Sugar: 5 g|
|Protein: 71 g||Protein: 58 g|
1 lb dried black beans
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tbls cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 onion, diced
1 large sweet potato
1 lb ground turkey
2 tbls taco seasoning Click here for the recipe
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, sliced (seeded)
- Start by soaking the beans overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse the beans and add them to the slow cooker. Add the cumin, chili powder, garlic cloves, and onion. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth. Cook on low for 8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove about 1 cup of beans from the slow cooker and place in a medium bowl. Using an immersion blender, blend the beans until they are refried bean consistency. (You could also put them in a tabletop blender or food processor)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add a little cooking oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned. Add the taco seasoning and water. Stir to combine.
- Using a mandolin or food processor slicing blade, cut the sweet potato into thin discs. They should be thin enough to mold into a mini muffin cup without cracking or breaking. Place 1 potato slice into each muffin cup of the mini muffin tin.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the refried beans onto each potato slice. Cover the beans with another potato slice. Cover with a small amount of taco meat. If adding cheese, sprinkle a little on top of each.
- Cook in preheated oven for 15-17 minute, until potatoes are cooked. Then carefully remove each with a fork.
- Garnish and serve hot. Serve with a side of black beans or refried beans. Save the rest of the black beans in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for later.
*Disclaimer: Nutritional information estimated using myfitnesspal.com. The totals are based on the recipe serving size and may not be accurate. Data is subject to the availability of specific foods in their database. Not all ingredients are always available and suitable substitution may be made. Nutrition data is provided for reference only.
[…] recipe is a simple combination of two of our favorite recipes; the black bean recipe from our taco bites, then the perfect brown rice. Black beans and rice is one of my favorite things in the whole […]